Parsons Corp., which provided project Design and Construction Management services, used MicroStation and PDS software to design a grassroots, high-energy research facility that included high-density areas for equipment/ facilities. The complex project posed a construction challenge, so to min-imize project risk the facility owner elected to use Cyrax® laser scanning during the construction phase.
The goal was to quickly and accurately catch construction deviations before they led to clashes during subsequent construction in the same area. In addition, as the project neared completion, project designers used updated as-built information for finalizing equipment and tie-in designs.
- Early detection of contsruction errors avoided significant project delays and cost adders
- Construction savings more than paid for Cyrax and its deployment
- Construction cost and schedule risks were reduced
- Construction verification enabled timely updates of the as-built models
- Up-to-date as-builts allowed project staff to create accurate final-stage equipment and tie-in designs based on the as-constructed condition